If there were such a thing as the “best” chocolate chip cookie this is my choice. The recipe as taken from the back of the package of chocolate chips. Accept no substitutes.
To form the cookies before baking I use a small ice cream scoop, a blue handle #40, which is roughly a little more than a tablespoon. When forming fill the scoop and lightly pack it with the palm of your hand. Plop it out on the pan and slightly flatten it.
There is a product called Silpat, a silicone baking mat, that is really handy to have around. I have five of the
size 11″ x 17″. You will never have a problem with cookies or any baked good sticking to the pan again. Just don’t cut anything on these as they will be damaged.
For sheet pans, cookie sheets to some, always use a good, heavy duty, professional grade pan. Vollrath is my brand of choice and I have two of the half-pans. They won’t warp, twist, or bend during the baking process plus the metal is heavy gauge and distributes the heat better than those rinky-dink store bought things. Both the Silpats and sheet pans will last for years. Mine are going on ten years of faithful service.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.